- 2 medium eggplant (about 1 pound each)
- 1 1/2 lbs medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons HOL GRAIN Brown Rice Bread Crumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Peel eggplants and cut into 1-inch cubes. Cook in boiling salted water 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cut each shrimp into two or three pieces.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and celery; cook until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in salt, cayenne, thyme, parsley and eggplant and mix well; cook 5 minutes longer, stirring often.
Stir 1 cup brown rice bread crumbs and mix well. Spoon into greased 2-quart shallow casserole. Sprinkle top with cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons crumbs. Place under broiler until cheese melts and browns lightly, about 5 minutes
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Note: Casserole may be made ahead and refrigerated. To reheat, bake in a 350 degree oven about 30 minutes until heated through.