- 1 pound unpeeled small to medium shrimp
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 (7-ounce) box KONRIKO® Wild Pecan® aromatic rice (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen okra, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Peel shrimp and refrigerate until needed. Place shrimp shells in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 to 40 minutes. Strain stock through a sieve and discard shells. Measure 2½ cups stock, adding additional water if needed.
In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp and brown; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add onion and bell pepper to drippings in pan and cool until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
Add shrimp stock and bring to a boil. Stir in rice, salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes. Add okra and parsley to rice and cook 5 minutes longer or until rice and okra are tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in bacon and serve.
Makes 6 servings.